Friday, March 21, 2008

Today’s the Day

“I used to think the army was bad. Against war, everything like that, but once I started talking to these guys, and my brother-in-law, he’s an officer now, I realized, its actually not so bad. Great in fact.”



Julia had one of those twinkles, you know, just one of those twinkles. That overpowering kind of optimism that just makes you believe everything is going to be alright. She’s been working as a waitress at the Sheraton for a year or so, likes her job just fine, but her favorite part is the mornings where she works the early shift and serves the marines before they start their journey to boot camp, or sometimes, straight to war.

“When my brother-in-law started I remember he said to me, you know, before this I had a $12 an hour job, but now, now I’m leaving a job and starting a career.” Uncle Sam gave him a future, “I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s scary and not easy, but imagine what kind of a future it gives you.”

Right before they ship off the army puts them up in a hotel with a whole group of other enlistees, wakes them up with a personal phone call, feeds them breakfast, and then helps them onto the bus to start their duty.

“It’s one thing signing up, but that’s just a pen on paper. When they’re here it’s real, you know. Today’s the day. Today’s the day you ship off.”

Later that evening we returned to the hotel and saw a group of men, boys really, goofing around in the lobby. The night before they were rowdy, annoying teenagers, but now, we couldn’t help but look at them a little differently. Today was the day that they took control of their future.

Opportunity: Give them the controls. Help them find their future.

No comments: